Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mabel Lake, BC

Sunday 22nd July  The past week has been busy and I have not had sufficient time to update my journal.  Last week my friends took me to Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, where took in the sites and road bicycles from Victoria to Sidney for lunch and return, a total of 50km.



Float plane taking off from Victoria Harbour



Sister's Darlene and Vicki


Roger and friend

On Friday my friend Lynne picked me up and we caught the ferry over to the mainland where we stayed with Lynne's sister Sharon in her beautiful home in Horseshoe Bay. Saturday brought misty rain when we left Vancouver to drive 300km to Princeton where Lynne is serving as resident nurse at a church camp for 72 teenagers. I borrowed her car and drove on another 260km to Enderby where I am currently staying with Carolyn and Art Herbert on their 170 acre property in the woods alongside a rapidly flowing river. The farm is on the opposite side of the river and must be crossed via a small private ferry.


Captain Art meeting me on the ferry.



Supper with Art and Carolyn

Paradise Farm

Chipmunk in the barn
Today their son Leigh took me to join members of the local community to paddle around Mabel Lake in a large voyager canoe. We were joined by five others and paddled for about two hours to see some 600 year old Pictographs and stopped for a break for a beach walk before returning to the Mabel Lake village.




After a cherry picking session in the afternoon we went for a quick swim in the river. Wednesday 25th  July . Since my last report I have been busy here at Mabel Lake, actually I have learned that the area is called Kingfisher, with picking raspberries, cherries ( I fell off the ladder and broke a tree limb on the way down) red currants and other minor jobs around the farm.


Market garden and cow paddock.

Last night we attended an outdoor live performance of an interpretation of the original Bonnie and Clyde. It was hilarious and included two vintage cars and three horses on stage which involved the surrounding countryside. It seems typical of Canadian country towns to have many live performances all summer long.

No comments:

Post a Comment