Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nanaimo & Lake Cowichan

Thursday 12th July  I have been invited to join Michael and Darlene for a few days visit at the Cowichan Lake cabin belonging to the family of Darlene's brother in law Rob Strachan. This is a very special place nestled between mountains just west of the town of Duncan.


The House in the woods on Lake Cowichan.


The private launching ramp.

The weather is fine and warm, in stark contrast to my journey over the past four weeks. The Cowichan Valley is famous for the Indian Sweaters made from raw untreated wool.

Monday 16 th July. Nanaimo, Vancouver Island Well I am now back in Vancouver having had no time, or inclination, to update my blog until now. The weather since the 12th has been superb, in the mid to high 20's every day with little or no cloud. My time at Lake Cowichan was spent assisting Rob and his family bring the lake house out of it's winter cloak into the warmth of a late summer by clearing away the detritus of winter and in addition we installed water piping and taps to aid in the more easy watering of the garden.


Just me being whimsical.


Rob's mother Lillian with the Aussie flag.


Huckleberries for the taking. I beat the bears to these.

As a break from the foregoing Rod launched their two Jet Skis and he and I enjoyed a leisurely tour of the eastern end of the lake. It is a most idyllic place to spend time to recuperate from my time time in Alaska and I took advantage of it. Thank you Rob and Vicki.
Back here in Nanaimo I have been Enjoying the company of Darlene and Michael in there beautiful home overlooking the waters of the Strait of Georgia where cruise ships can be seen heading north up the Inside Passage to Alaska and the occasional tug with a lazy log boom towing reluctantly behind.


 On our evening walks we often pass BlackTailed Deer with young fawn grazing on the  fruits of some hard working gardener.


The deer seem almost unafraid of humans and move away only if approached closer than a couple of metres.

No comments:

Post a Comment