Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Monday 4th June and I have just finished my first full day in BC Canada. The trip here was uneventful, as such trips should be. After 24hrs traveling on planes,  trains, buses and ferries I arrived at Nanaimo and our good friends Darlene and Michael were waiting at ferry dock. It was great to meet up with them and I was immediately made to feel welcome in their lovely home overlooking the gulf between  Vancouver Island and the mainland where the hint of tall snow covered mountains showed through the low grey clouds. If today's weather is any indication of the immediate future I may need to shop for warmer clothes. After making contact Rob Strachan and Doug Martin , the owner of my bike to be, and with the help of Darlene and Michael I became the proud owner of a loud Honda Shadow. I picture myself as the kick ass leader of biking duo cruising the highway to hell. The only thing missing is the tattoo. Tomorrow I actually pick up the bike.

To view the photos in a larger format, just click on the photo.


 The grand entrance to the terminal at Vancouver airport
The view from the dining room window of Darlene & Michael Booths' house where I stayed.

Poppies growing in Darlenes' garden


The front view of the Booth house
Wednesday 6th June.
45224km on bike odometer on day one.
Well this was my first day on the bike. After spending a very pleasant three days with my friends Darlene and Michael I said my temporary farewell and departed after lunch for Beaver Creek, home of another good friend Lynne Schingnitz, in the middle of the Island just out of Port Alberni, just 102km out of Nanaimo.


The Stamp River Falls, Port Alberni

 

 Sockeye Salmon preparing to enter the fish ladders on the Stamp River

The Stamp River



A rare view of a River Otter in the Stamp River

No comments:

Post a Comment